Welcome to DiTerry.com
Born in Manchester living in the Pennines
Diana Terry initially trained as a Three Dimensional Designer, obtaining a first degree in ceramics at Manchester Metropolitan University. and an M.A. at University of Liverpool at the School of Architecture. Diana held several teaching posts including Head of Foundation at Barnsley College. Therefore her design background has influenced the approach she has taken to her fine art practice. These include a love of materials and process. Furthermore they enable her to be an inquisitive questioner and encourages a love of experimentation.
Her current work starts with walking and memorising being in wild places and the experiences of being in the outdoors. She captures these places on site observing and drawing. Working quickly means that these sketches have an immediacy which she carries on into the studio.
Frequently taking inspiration from the Pennine landscape she seeks to portray an emotional connection. Texture and materials are integral to her work and she enjoys evolving this building up the surface to a high relief. It is a contemporary interpretation of the sublime. It is the essence of a place that she captures.
She paints primarily in oil, but combine this with a variety of other media such as gesso, mediums, inks and sometimes collage elements. She enjoys the process of developing areas as they emerge, rubbing back and building up, scratching into the surface and working with tools beyond the brushes, from palette knives and sponges to drawing implements, creating diversity in the mark-making.
These techniques have also been developed into etching and most recently into collagraphy. This technique of building the printing plate from found materials lends itself perfectly to her style combining the materiality of the immediate surroundings with the application of printing inks. These are essentially monoprints and each one is unique. They also act as information for the larger oil paintings.
Her work is in both private and public collections in the UK and USA. She has exhibited in London, Manchester and Scotland
The studio is in a Victorian cotton mill in the Pennines. OL5 9RR.
- 2019 September Invited to research at Wentworth House, Rotherham, ROAR. https://www.rotherhamroar.com
- 2018 August Invited to research at Wellcome Trust, London. https://www.wellcome.ac.uk
- 2019 April Pennine Places, Saddleworth Art Gallery, Solo exhibition. https://www.saddleworthmuseum.co.uk
- 2018 November-January. Millgate Arts Centre, Saddleworth, Solo exhibition. https://www.millgateartscentre.co.uk
- 2018 October-January 2019 The Atkinson, Southport, Group Exhibition with WSA. https://www.theatkinson.co.uk
- 2013-8 every year July-September, Liverpool Art Fair, Pier Head. https://www.liverpoolartfair.com
- 2018 March-December, Our eARTh, Friends of the Earth, Kunsthius Gallery, Crayke, North Yorkshire. https://wwwkunsthiusgallery.com
- 2018 July, Saul Hay Gallery, Castlefield, Manchester. Market place. https://www.saulhayfineart.co.uk
- 2018 July Exhibition of new artists, Picture House Gallery, Padiham, near Preston https://www.picturehousepreston.co.uk
- 2018 July-August Twice as Nice, Tripytch, Diptych and Polytych, Mirabel Gallery, Manchester. https://www.psmirabel.co.uk
- 2018 March, The Mall Gallery, London. Annual exhibition of Royal Society of British Artists https://www.royalsocietyofbritishartists.org.uk
- 2017 October/November, Gallery Oldham, Open exhibition. Selected for purchase to the permanent collection
- 2017 and 2018 October/November, The Williamson, Birkenhead, Merseyside. group exhibition
- 2017 July-October Material Matters and Anniversary; Saul Hay Gallery, Castlefield, Manchester, group exhibition
- 2017 May, Saltaire Arts Trail, near Bradford, West Yorkshire
- 2017 March Saddleworth Edges, Saddleworth Museum, solo exhibition
- 2016 December Bargehouse, Oxo Tower, South Bank, London.
- 2016 December Dean Clough Art Fair, Halifax.
- 2016 October, Art Battle Manchester, London Road Fire Station.
- 2016 May The Dark Side. Liverpool Light Night: 104 Street artist run studios.
- 2016 March, Tinnitus drawings, Art with a Heart, Altrincham
- 2015/16/17 Gallery artists exhibition, Colin Jellicoe Gallery, Manchester.
- 2015 September On the Edge Gallery Oldham, solo exhibition
- 2013 Passers By, Brownhill Centre, Saddleworth. solo exhibition
Education and Qualifications:
2007 MPhil. University of Manchester, School of Humanities.
1985 MA University of Liverpool, School of Architecture