Welcome to DiTerry.com
Born in Manchester living in the Pennines
My paintings and prints are about landscape where I encourage viewers to look beyond the brushstrokes, considering the narrative between humanity and the environment. From my initial walking and memorising being in wild places and the experiences of being outdoors I capture these places on site, drawing and taking clay impressions of quarry surfaces.
My background in ceramics helps to inform the colourful, vibrant textured surfaces of my work which resonates with the land, evoking the deep geological memories ingrained in the rocks and hills of the Pennines.
I paint primarily in oil, but combine this with a variety of other media such as gesso, mediums, inks and sometimes collage elements. I enjoy the process of developing areas as they emerge, rubbing back and building up, scratching into the surface and working with tools beyond the brushes, from palette knives and sponges to drawing implements, creating diversity in the mark-making.
Just because I’m able to do lots of different things it doesn’t mean that I don’t mean it. The variety of media is not simply an exercise in cool irony, but a sincere attempt to make sense of the world and the joy and despair I feel at being alive. I want to reinterpret the imaginary landscapes of our ancestors. I want to make paintings that surprise, excite and engage and that have something new to add to the history art.
My work is in very popular having sold out at several solo shows. I am represented in both private and public collections in the UK, USA. and New Zealand. I have exhibited in London, Manchester and Scotland
The studio is in a Victorian cotton mill in the Pennines. OL5 9RR.
- 2020 October /November Studio 209 are registered to be part of 20:20 Print Exchange run by Hot Bed Press, Salford. https://www.hotbedpress.org/exhibitions/2020-print-exchange/
- 2021 Spring Chester Cathedral, group exhibition cancelled.
- 2020 April Pennine Painters, Saddleworth Art Gallery, Solo exhibition. https://www.saddleworthmuseum.co.uk cancelled
- 2019 November-December selected for the first Manchester Open exhibition hosted at Home Gallery https://homemcr.org
2019 October- November selected for the Open exhibition at Gallery Oldham and for purchase for their collection. https://artuk.org/discover/artists/view_as/grid/search/keyword:diana-terry
- 2019 June-September invited to have a solo exhibition at a lovely gallery in Settle, North Yorkshire. http://www.studiovault.co.uk
- 2019 Outside In national exhibition Environments on screen at Piano Noble Gallery, Kings Place in London’s Kings Cross. Outside In.http://Outside in.org.uk/exhibition/environments
- 2018 August Invited to be an artist/research at Wellcome Trust, London. https://www.wellcome.ac.uk
- 2018 July ongoing, Saul Hay Gallery, Castlefield, Manchester. Gallery artist. https://www.saulhayfineart.co.uk
- 2018 July-August Twice as Nice, Tripytch, Diptych and Polytych, Mirabel Gallery, Manchester. https://www.psmirabel.co.uk
- 2018 March, The Mall Gallery, London. Annual exhibition of Royal Society of British Artists https://www.royalsocietyofbritishartists.org.uk
- 2017 October/November, Gallery Oldham, Open exhibition. Selected for purchase to the permanent collection
- 2018 November-January 2019. Millgate Arts Centre, Saddleworth, Solo exhibition. https://www.millgateartscentre.co.uk
- 2018 October-January 2019 The Atkinson, Southport, Group Exhibition with WSA. https://www.theatkinson.co.uk
- 2013-8 every year July-September, Liverpool Art Fair, Pier Head. https://www.liverpoolartfair.com
- 2018 March-December, Our eARTh, Friends of the Earth, Kunsthius Gallery, Crayke, North Yorkshire. https://wwwkunsthiusgallery.com
- 2017 selected for membership of the Wirral Society of Arts, The Williamson, Birkenhead, http://www.wirralsocietyarts.org
- 2017 March Saddleworth Edges, Saddleworth Museum, solo exhibition
- 2016 December Bargehouse, Oxo Tower, South Bank, London.
- 2016 December Dean Clough Art Fair, Halifax.
- 2016 October, Art Battle Manchester, London Road Fire Station.
- 2016 May The Dark Side. Liverpool Light Night: 104 Street artist run studios.
- 2015/16/17 Gallery artists exhibition, Colin Jellicoe Gallery, Manchester.
- 2015 September On the Edge Gallery Oldham, solo exhibition
- 2013 Passers By, Brownhill Centre, Saddleworth. solo exhibition
Education and Qualifications:
2007 MPhil. University of Manchester, School of Humanities.
1985 MA University of Liverpool, School of Architecture